Saturday, February 11, 2012

A New Mother's Prayer

As I sit here with this little, beautiful baby in my arms, I cannot help but believe she must have come from You - for nothing so small and perfect could be anything but heavenly.  You chose to trust us to take care of her, and so tonight, I pray for...

...patience: that when I find myself frustrated that I am walking the darkened rooms of my house at 3am yet again, or she has dirtied three diapers in 15 minutes, or that it is 11am amd I have not eaten breakfast or showered, that I will stay calm amd accept that some days are like this.

...her health: that she will sleep sweetly and soundly; that she will stay healthy and continue to eat and gain weight and grow big and strong; that she won't choke on her own spit-up in the middle of the night or any of the other scary things that happen to little babies.

...faith: that You will continue to sustain us and carry us through the good times and bad.

...a mother's intuition: to know the difference between a hungry cry and a need-to-be-held cry; to be able to support her now, while she is brand new, and as she gets older and her problems are more complex than a dirty diaper.

...gratitude: that we continue to count our blessings and remember that there are mommies out there praying for babies they can only wish for; that we always remember the generosity of our friends and family and return the favor when they need our support; that we realize the incredible gift You have given us in this new life.

No comments:

Post a Comment