Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Twenty Nine - and Counting

A few years from now, I might regret this post. But I'm going to run with it, at least for the moment.

I turned twenty-nine earlier this week.  I honestly probably would have forgotten it was my birthday if Ryan didn't wish me happy birthday before I left for school, and I wouldn't have dated a hall pass before signing it during second period. (And for all the facebook birthday love. People are nice, aren't they?)

Everyone keeps saying to me: "So, this is your last birthday, huh?" Wink, wink.  But, truthfully, I've always been a little annoyed with the age-liars.  You know them: when she was 13, she wanted to be 16; when she was 18, 21; 21, 25; 40, 29; 60, 40; I could go on forever.  But I've always kept my mouth shut, because until this year, I've mostly been in the range of wanting to be older, and not younger.

But I don't want to be younger, and I don't want to be older. This year, I want to be twenty-nine.  Next year, God willing, I'm going to rock thirty, too.  Because when I turned twenty-nine, I knew a lot of things that I didn't know when I was thirteen, or eighteen, or even twenty-five.  And I bet when I'm forty, I'll know a lot of things that I didn't know when I was twenty-nine.  That's the good thing about birthdays.  It's one day to celebrate what we are at that moment. Life may not be easier, but at least we're a little wiser for the wear.

A list of things I know at twenty-nine (and some pinterest thingys to go with them):
- I know how to dress up for a night out and look hot but not ... well, you know. I will wear a coat if it's cold, no matter how unhip it is, because warmth and comfort is important.  I might leave it in the car IF and only if there is not a coat check or a chair on which to drape it.

- I know how to nurse, love, and mother a baby and how much it hurt learning it.
- I know confidence is a girl's best friend; if you don't have it, find it somewhere within you. You have to be able to take care of yourself.

- I know that the phrase "fake it 'til you make it" is how you land your first job when you actually have absolutely no idea what you're doing - and it's how you keep your first job when you have absolutely no idea what you're doing.
- I know how incredibly blessed I am to be a part of a family that wants to be together but isn't resentful when we're not.

- I know that the world does not owe me anything. I have to work for it.
- I know that I learned the hard way that a girl doesn't need a boy to make her complete and I know that I really hope that my daughter is smarter than I was in that department.
- I know that sometimes, grace and faith are the only things that get me through a tough day.
- I know that spouses should continue to date each other.

- I know girls' nights are necessary, because a girl needs a life of her own, too.
- I know that women who constantly criticize other women's choices are unhappy with themselves. It feels personal when you're on the receiving end, but it's really not.

- I know how to find joy even on a bad day. I know that sometimes I have to force myself to do this.

- I know that I don't like scary movies and it's okay for me to say "no, thanks" and do something else when I get invited to see one. (Not that I have time to go to the movies anymore...but at least I know this should there ever come a time when I would want to spend what spare time I have attending movies.)
This fear gets worse when I watch scary movies and/or Law and Order SVU.
 - I know that I have a lot more to know, and that's why I'll embrace birthdays as they come.

                                                                 ********

Hope you're all making the best of the winter - and for those of you in warmer climates...well, the rest of us are mad at you. (I haven't learned how not to resent you for that, yet.)

No comments:

Post a Comment