Monday, February 16, 2015

Halfway to the End and the Beginning (Again)

Many people have been asking how this pregnancy compares to mine with Nora.  Generally, they have been about the same, but different in the details.
- I've had morning sickness badly enough with both to require medicine; because I have a different prescription this time that seems to work better for me, it's hard to compare exactly how similar the actual morning sickness has been.  Thankfully, I do seem to be over that now, but if I smell reheated fish again, I'm going to cry.
- I've had food aversions with both babies.  Nora: all things meat for the entire first trimester and a bit beyond.  This one: spaghetti and anything with tomato sauce (some pizza is okay) and pasta in general. It hasn't gone away yet.
- I showed a lot sooner with this baby than the first, though my OB forewarned me that this is typically the case.  With Nora, I think I was showing (really showing, enough for others to notice) around 14 weeks. With this baby, it was probably around 11.  I show early, as I simply don't have anywhere to hide a baby in my little frame.  With both babies I always feel bigger in the evenings.  I would say at this point, I'm close to the same size as I was with Nora, or maybe just a bit bigger.
- Emotions: about the same. I'm not an overly emotional person to begin with, but I did have a hard time when the morning sickness hit this time, because I didn't feel like I could take care of Nora and myself.  (Thus: Hallelujah that I live in a time with prescription medication.)
-Names: We aren't sharing, just like we did(n't) with Nora.  It did take us a long time to make a final decision on Nora's name, though we had a short list of 3 or 4 for a long time.  This time, we have to pick two names since we won't be finding out the gender, and we're working on it and making some progress.  For awhile, I only cared about boy names because I was convinced it was a boy; now I'm second guessing myself, so we're working on a girl name, too.  I'm still leaning toward boy, though I don't have a good reason why.
- I am feeling a lot of movement these days, mainly in the evenings.  With Nora, I wasn't totally convinced I was feeling her move until I felt it and saw it on an ultrasound at the same time, even though I had been feeling it for awhile.  This time I'm fairly certain I felt the baby move around 11 weeks, but it was few and far between.  Both Ryan and Nora have been able to feel this baby move.  Sometimes Nora takes her hand and "wiggles" my tummy and says she's helping the baby move...which is cute but weird.
- Preparation for Baby: Obviously there is much less to buy the second time around, and because we were careful to buy all of the big ticket items in gender neutral themes hoping that some day we would use them for a sibling, those items are checked off our list already.   I am starting to think about bedding and decor for the nursery, and spend a lot of time on Pinterest getting ideas.
- Other Stuff: I spend significantly less time now reading up on what's happening week-by-week or articles about what to do with a new baby.  With Nora, each week I read that week's notes in What to Expect When You're Expecting.  3.5 years later, I don't remember it all, but I don't go back and read it again.  I do have an app on my phone that tells me how big the baby is each week in terms of produce.  This week it is a mango.  (I am weirded out by eating the food of that particular week...so it better not tell me it's a jar of Nutella, or I'm in big trouble.)  I've learned with Nora that sometimes you can read parenting advice columns and books all day long, but at the end of the day, sometimes you just have to do what seems right for you and your kid.  I do watch mothers of two or more little ones and ask lots of questions of friends and family who are already there, but I generally just figure it will all fall into place.  Maybe it's because I've done it before or because I eat more chocolate, but I seem to be more relaxed about this whole thing.  Not completely relaxed...but relaxed. 

Big Sister is very excited and still frequently asks when the baby is coming. July seems like forever away in her mind and she must think we're making it all up sometimes.  I can't wait to see her take on the role as big sister. She loves babies now; she plays a lot of pretend with her baby dolls, changing diapers, taking them to doctor visits (she says "don't say ouch," when they get a shot), taking them to the beach/museum/park/grandparents' houses/etc.  She also likes to help feed our friends' babies when they are eating - and truthfully does a pretty good job of it - and is very interested in finding out when the baby can eat applesauce.

That's all the updates I have for now.  Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment