Monday, September 30, 2013

My Little Mama, and Thoughts on Raising a Girl

For the past month or so, Nora has spent the better part of her playtime arranging her dolls and stuffed animals on blankets, rearranging them, laying them in a line one after the other, covering them with blankets, and then starting all over again. She seems to have inherited two of my qualities: 1) she's a perfectionist and likes everything in a neat manner; 2) she loves babies.  Actually, 3) the girl has a sweet tooth rivaled only by my own (and her Papa Joe's, which is where I got mine).


As a high school teacher, I have an interesting vantage point to the answer of the question "what happens to kids who were...when they get older" - fill in the dotdotdot with a huge number of things: kids who were abused, given everything they ever asked for, disciplined appropriately, and so on. I don't always know a child's history, but often by the middle of the year, I can take an educated guess.  I'm not always right, but more often than not, I'm at least close.  This isn't to say that people can't change, but my students are still young and for the most part believe and act how they have been taught. 

Naturally, this has affected the way I think about parenting.  I have had so many girls in class who believe their worth is related to their looks and how others see them, and I have spent many an afternoon trying to convince a girl that she is enough just as she as God made her, without changing anything about the way she looks or where she comes from or what she does.  And from the opposite direction, I have often wished to be a fly on the wall in the homes of those kids who are confident and hard-working - what is it that their parents do at home?

Ryan and I purposely have a variety of gender neutral toys as well as typically "girl" toys (babies, animals, etc.) and typically "boy" toys (cars, balls) in the house, allowing her to play with whatever she chooses.  Right now, babies and stuffed animals seem to be her favorite, but she does play often with her cars and loves to chase the practice golf balls that Ryan chips around in the back yard.  (Also, she eats dirt on a fairly regular basis, much to my dismay.)  Although even as a baby, we dressed her in "girl" outfits so that everyone at the grocery store wouldn't assume she was a boy (really, people, what is it about an outfit with yellow ducks that screams boy?!), we never went overboard, staying away from the tutus, gigantic bows, and anything that said "diva" or "princess" or embellished with a disgusting amount of sparkles.  We told nay-sayers who thought we should be dressing her in frills every day that it was because she had a remarkable ability to spit up more at one time than she had eaten in a week; but that is not the truth (well. it is the truth that she spit up that much.).  We stayed away from it, and will continue to, because we don't want her to believe that those choices are what make a girl pretty or worth noticing. Of course there are times when a tutu or a sparkly dress are appropriate, but on a regular basis, Nora just needs to look like Nora.  Now that she's old enough, she can choose if she wants to wear a headband each day, or play with my necklaces, or wear green socks instead of white - and we let her, because her choice is important. She will develop her own style as she gets older.

The choices we are making for her go beyond toys and clothes - we want her to know that she is beautiful, but also smart, funny, and kind.  We read books with strong girls who stand up for others, and lately if I need 20 minutes of time to get something done and rely on the TV for a little help, she watches an episode of Doc McStuffins.

When I think about her pre-teenhood and teenage years (AHHHH), I often think of Tina Fey's humorous "A Mother's Prayer" which includes the plea "oh, Lord, break the internet forever."  It probably won't happen (society as we know it wouldn't survive it, anyway), but it's what we're up against - it seems like 94% of the internet is attempting to make girls believe that they must look and act like x to be beautiful and have worth. So we're starting young with the positive to try to combat the negative, to give her a shield of her very own for when she will have to make these choices for herself.

 


Links:
An interesting article on Doc McStuffins: http://aggieresearch.wordpress.com/2012/07/31/multiculturalpop-culture-note-doc-mcstuffins-wins-praise-for-its-little-stem-focused-role-model/

Tina Fey's A Mother's Prayer: http://www.writeincolor.com/2011/04/15/a-mothers-prayer-for-its-child-by-tina-fey/  (Yes, it's probably a little racy, at least as far as prayers go, but I bet every girl-mom has had these exact same thoughts, even if not in the exact same words.)

An Interesting Approach to Talking to Girls: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/sarah-koppelkam/body-image_b_3678534.html

Books (and other stuff) for Mighty Girls: http://www.amightygirl.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment