I normally have some sort of plan for what I'm going to write about in a blog post, but not tonight. Ryan is working late and I'm sitting here, in the quiet, after both kids are finally asleep. We had a little mini thunderstorm tonight just as I was getting both of them settled - this of course resulted in unsettling them entirely.
I don't know how to make a pie chart on a blog post, but let's just say we had 100 thunderstorms in a year...this is how the breakdown would go.
Morning:3 calm little thunderstorms that make you want to dance in the rain
Midday: 4 normal thunderstorms
Evening: 7 slightly unnerving thunderstorms where the sky looks kinda weird
Bedtime: SEVENTY-FIVE long, loud thunderstorms.
Middle of the Night: 11 thunderstorms that shake the house and wake all the children.
WHY? It always starts thundering right after they've gotten quiet but haven't fallen asleep yet.
Oh, well.
I told you I didn't have a plan, so if you're still here, don't say you weren't warned.
Nora turns SIX later this week. This seems ridiculously old. Five was all cute - yay, kindergarten, hooray, you can read, yippee, you can take a shower with minimal supervision! Six... six is like, well, okay, I guess it's time to figure out what you're going to do for a job now.
Maybe not. I don't know. I've never done this before. (These sentences seem like a good summary of parenting. Maybe that's what I'll title my book that I don't have time to write.)
At (almost) six, Nora loves:
- unicorns
- rainbows
- Hatchimals
- science experiments
- gymnastics, soccer
- dance parties
- planning her unicorn-rainbow-painting-dancing birthday party
- all things crafty (We went to Hobby Lobby the other day, and OH MY, the look on her face. She was imagining all of the magical, beautiful, glittery things she could make, and I was imagining an empty bank account.)
- her friends. She's especially enjoying that she has a few friends whose parents we know well enough that she is allowed to go play at their houses without me tagging along every time.
- riding the bus
- gym and art class
Today the first thing she said when she got off the bus was "Today we got to measure THREE THINGS. I measured my friend, the calendar, and Mrs. Chase's desk. And then we said, like, whether we were bigger or smaller." Then she told me all about a coloring party that she got to go to at the end of the day as a prize for doing their Christmas break reading challenge.
Joseph is his own little bundle of fun these days. He has always been a bit of a chatterbox, but now he talks in complete sentences and has these funny little one-liners that always catch us off guard. Yesterday morning, we were all getting ready for church, and he came into the bathroom after Ryan helped him get dressed.
J: "I all dressed! I go to church!"
Me: Well, don't you look dapper in your little vest?
J: Ya. It's wunnerful.
Me: Awww it is wonderful! You're just so sweet.
J: Ya, I so sweet, and you so sweet.
Also, he refers to the bandanna the groomer put on Zadie after her most recent haircut as a "band-aid."
We have recently started working on potty-training. We've learned that if we just tell him it's time to go potty, he says "No. I shooting hoops" or whatever it is that he's busy with. But, if we set a timer on our phones and the little song goes off, he think it's amazing and he runs right to the bathroom. He's doing pretty well and we may start to venture on short errands sans-diapers soon. (Maybe.)
His favorite things currently include shooting hoops in the playroom, visiting the indoor playground (where he spends most of the time shooting hoops), trains, doing dinosaur puzzles, going to the Children's Museum to see the dinosaurs and trains, and going to the zoo to see the dolphin show.
In summary: basketball, trains, vertebrates that start with D
Tonight we did a science experiment from Nora's science kit called Rocket Balls. Basically, they made bouncy balls. And then they bounced them all over the house and nearly broke all the things. Despite my gray hairs, I am enjoying that we're now able to do activities that they both enjoy. We still save the more "involved" projects and activities for when Joseph is napping or Ryan is home to help, but it's fun to see them learning to work together. Nora is learning to gently lead, and Joseph is learning to understand directions and play with a friend (albeit a friend who often dresses him up in her favorite outfits).
That's all for now, friends. Have a great week. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment